India’s coastline of more than 7,500 km reflects our vast ocean resources. Most importantly, the Indian Ocean is the only ocean named after a country, that is, India. In this context, India, being a signatory of UN “Coastal Clean Seas” campaign, a number of activities have been adopted that have direct relevance with the “Swachh Bharat” vision and has proved highly useful.
The “International Coastal Clean Up Day” is celebrated globally on the third Saturday of September, every year. This year on 17th September 2022, the Government of India along with other voluntary organizations, and the local society will run a cleanliness campaign “Swachh Sagar, Surakshit Sagar/Clean Coast Safe Sea” along India’s entire coastline. Efforts will be undertaken to collect scientific data and information on Marine Litter in various matrices, such as coastal waters, sediments, biota, and beaches.
This campaign will be led by Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), and supported by Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), National Service Scheme (NSS), Indian Coast Guard, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Seema Jagran Manch, SFD, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), ParyavaranSanrakshanGatividhi (PSG), along with other social organizations and educational institutions.
This year’s event also coincides with the celebrations of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav in 75th year of the country’s independence; The coastal cleanup drive will be carried out at 75 beaches across the country with 75 volunteers for every kilometre of the coastline. The “Swachh Sagar, Surakshit Sagar/Clean Coast Safe Sea “campaign is a 75-day citizen-led campaign for improving ocean health through collective action. The campaign started on July 5th, 2022 and has 3 strategic underlying goals that target transformation and environmental conservation through behavior change.
1. Consume Responsibly
2. Segregate waste at home
3. Dispose Responsibly.
The campaign will culminate with the largest beach cleaning event on Sept 17, 2022 (International Coastal Cleanup Day) covering 75 beaches across India’s 7500+km coastline.It is the first-of-its-kind and longest running coastal cleanup campaign in the world with highest number of people participating in it. Through this campaign, a mass behavioural change among the masses is intended by raising awareness about how plastic usage is destroying our marine life.
This quiz is meant to test the basic awareness level of Indian citizens about our coastline, beaches and the science behind its habitat, environment and the negative impact of litter and pollution.
1.Entry to the Quiz is open to Indian school and college students only.
2. This is a timed quiz with 10 questions to be answered in 2 minutes and 30 seconds
3. The organizer’s decision on the Quiz shall be final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the same.
4. The Participants who are scoring 10/10 correct answers in the given time will be declared as winners and will receive certificate for the quiz.
5. One participant will be eligible to win only once in a particular quiz. Multiple entries from the same entrant will not qualify them for multiple wins during the same quiz.
6. You will be required to provide your name, email address, telephone number, and postal address. By submitting your contact details, you will give consent to these details being used for the purpose of the Quiz and also for receiving promotional content.
7. There will be no negative marking
8. The quiz will start as soon as the participant clicks the Start Quiz button
9. Once submitted an entry cannot be withdrawn
10. In case it’s detected that the participant has used unfair means to complete the quiz in unduly reasonable time, the entry may get rejected
11. Organizers will not accept any responsibility for entries that are lost, are late or incomplete or have not been transmitted due to computer error or any other error beyond the organizer’s reasonable control. Please note proof of submission of the entry is not proof of receipt of the same
12. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, organizers reserve the right to amend or withdraw the Quiz at any time. For the avoidance of doubt this includes the right to amend these terms and conditions
13. The Participant shall abide by all the rules and regulations of participating in the Quiz from time to time
14. Organizers reserve all rights to disqualify or refuse participation to any participant if they deem participation or association of any participant which is detrimental to the Quiz or the Organizers or partners of the Quiz. The registrations shall be void if the information received by the Organizers is illegible, incomplete.
15. By entering the Quiz, the Participant accepts and agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, mentioned above