On the backdrop of huge loss of life and property due to cyclones over the North Indian Ocean, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the United Nations (UN) took the initiative to establish the WMO/ Economic & Social Commission for Asia and Pacific (ESCAP) Panel on Tropical Cyclones (WMO/ESCAP PTC) in 1973 to save the life and property from the vagaries of cyclones affecting the countries in the Bay of Bengal & Arabian Sea region. At present there are 13 members in the PTC including Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Pakistan, Iran, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Yemen.
In 1973 itself, India Meteorological Department (IMD) was given the onus to act as WMO recognized Regional Specialised Meteorological Centre, New Delhi (RSMC New Delhi) to provide advisories w.r.t. cyclonic disturbances developing over the North Indian Ocean. We are commemorating 50 years of formation of WMO/ESCAP PTC and RSMC New Delhi, which have helped in minimizing the death toll to double digit in the region due to cyclones in recent decades. As a part of the celebrations, the IMD is conducting a quiz competition to improve public awareness about various aspects of tropical cyclones in the region.
The main objectives of the quiz competition are to:
1. Create an awareness on the tropical cyclones over North Indian Ocean.
2. Promote an understanding among the people in the region about the role of regional cooperation among the member countries of WMO/ESCAP Panel on tropical Cyclones.
3. To learn about various initiatives by IMD to minimize death toll over the region.
1. This initiative is taken by the India Meteorological Department, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India in collaboration with MyGov as a part of the activities planned to commemorate 50th anniversary of WMO/ESCAP PTC and RSMC New Delhi
2. The quiz contains 10 questions to be answered in 10 minutes.
3. Certificates will be issued to all participants.
4. The participants can skip a question if found tough and answer it later within the given time limit.
5. There will not be negative marking for wrong answers.
6. The quiz will start as soon the participant clicks on the ‘Start Quiz’ button.
7. Participants can take part in the quiz only once.
8. MyGov will not be responsible for entries that are lost, are late or incomplete, or have not been transmitted due to computer error or any other error beyond the organizer’s reasonable control.
9. The Participant shall abide by all the rules and regulations of participating in the Quiz Contest.
10. Ministry reserve all rights to disqualify or refuse participation to any participant if they deem participation or association of any participant, which is detrimental to the Quiz or the Organizers, or partners of the Quiz. The registrations shall be void if the information received by the Organizers is illegible, incomplete, damaged, false, or erroneous.
11. Ministry’s decision on the Quiz shall be final and no correspondence will be entertained in this regard.
12. By participating in the Quiz Contest, the participant accepts and agrees to be bound by the above Terms and Conditions.
13. The laws of the Indian Judiciary shall govern these Terms and Conditions.